In 1984, during the filming of a Pepsi Commercial in which Michael and the Jacksons sang and danced, a pyrotechnics special effect went wrong and Michael’s hair was set on fire. There was lots of footage of the aftermath on television and of Michael being taken to hospital.
Until recently no actual footage of the accident was available, until this week when it was released on the internet and television. MJWN was also given this footage to use, but we refused to screen it on our site.
Nicole Bradley, a spokesperson for Pepsi, has commented on the recent footage; “We don’t know how the footage became available. Twenty-five years later, we’d question why anyone would want to share such frightening images. It was a terrifying event that we’ll never forget.”
Source: E!Online & MJWN, with special thanks to Bonnie